1.13.2012

Cleaning up Christmas chaos...



I had our tree and the decorations down before New Year's. I have never done that - and really it felt way too fast and way too soon but I had a feeling that peanut would arrive early and that if I didn't get it done while I had help that our tree would still be standing around at Easter time. So, I boxed it all up and promised the nugs that the tree would be back next year.

What I didn't clean up until yesterday was the rest of the Christmas chaos - the expanding plethora of toys that somehow creeped into our house. Presents, Advent calendar gifts and all the stuff that shows up. I gave up months ago on needing cars to go with cars and tracks to go with tracks on a daily basis, but I still tried to do a sorting once a week or every two weeks, just to keep some sort of order. But that hadn't happened in months and I began to notice how the nugget was playing with less things and with less concentration.

So, instead of taking a nap when the house was all quiet, I spent 20 minutes cleaning up the chaos. The play table looked like this...



With a bit of time and effort, the cars ended up with the cars...


...the fireman with the firetruck...


...the construction vehicles in the toolbox...


...and then several things were bagged up and stored in this plastic bin, to be pulled out on a rainy day.



What I ended up with was a blank slate. Wonder what it will get used for next...


For more information on simplifying toys, clutter and the benefits of reducing the amount of stuff in child'e environment, I recommend the work of Kim John Payne and his Simplicity Parenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment