11.27.2011

The first of Advent


Today was the first of Advent. It is celebrated less here in America so I was oh so happy that a Skype call with my parents-in-law in Germany on Saturday reminded me that it was time to pull out last years Christmas craft.

Last year, I was inspired by this driftwood centerpiece. Actually I was inspired by an Adventskranz (Advent wreath) of the same idea that is no longer available but this one gives you the idea. But instead of ordering it, I decided to make it myself.

You see, I cleverly figured out how not to stress the week before Christmas last year. You take your parents-in-law who are visiting from Germany, plus a toddler, plus a husband and you drive a few hours up the California coast and you get cozy with a fireplace and a hot tub and walks on the beach and very little cell phone reception. Okay, there was cell reception and an unexpected trip to the ER but there was no rushing around or last minute midnight trips to Target or frantic attempts at gift wrapping. Just time and hot chocolate, and an attempt at making peppermint bark. Plus, an inspired idea for a craft project.

Aware of the abundance of drift wood on Northern California beaches but unaware that it was illegal to gather and collect it until afterwards, I was determined to gather the loot I needed to complete the wreath for the next year.

Back at home, when presents were all unwrapped and toys were being played with, I had time to set up shop. When I realized that even the hardiest of hot glue would not do the trick, I deployed my secret weapon: meticulous husband with drill. And so the day after Christmas, we crafted and crafted some more. And it was done. And I was happy.



































I would need to find candles and a way to attach them but I had a year. Plenty of time.
Or so I thought.


I am still on the lookout for the metal rims I need to permanently attach the 4 white pillar candles I had intended for this wreath, but with only the Saturday night before the first of Advent at my disposal, I had to make do.

And really, on Sunday morning, over breakfast, one little toddler singing "O Tannebaum" hardly new that the wreath wasn't perfect.



1 comment:

  1. How cool! I love all the beautiful driftwood! Here's to making do with what's at hand. Funny, I read this just after publishing my own making-do-with-what-I've-got Advent post. :-)

    ReplyDelete