3.16.2011

The eCourse projects are done!

In the first week of the Playful Learning eCourse, we were asked to choose the areas of our house that we wanted to focus on. Not sure of what content we would cover throughout the course, I chose these 5 projects to keep me focused. Now, in the final week of the course (which I have totally enjoyed), I can say that I made great progress and I look forward to seeing how these spaces evolve and change with the needs of our ever changing little man.


Project 1
Window bench and toy storage

BEFORE

AFTER



I used the baskets I already had (which I bought for $1 each at Urban Ore in Berkeley), spray painted a 4th white and made the toy labels myself with black paper, chalk, laminating sheets and cable binders. I used Ed Emberely's Make a World book to draw the images.

As for the bench, I used two IKEA floor rugs, tied them together and stapled them onto the bench, on top of 5 seat cushions. The geometric blue pillows are from our trip to Bali before the nugget was born.

It doesn't always look this tidy, but it cleans up pretty well! And of course, I was thrilled when the nugget came down and saw the baskets and pointed straight at the helicopter label and said "helacoptor". I'd say, big success!

Project 2
Play kitchen

BEFORE

AFTER



I moved the play kitchen into his room, removed the loose silver frame, added an unused bath mat to catch any spilled water and reduced the amount of play things that accompanied the kitchen. That was the biggest lesson of all. I realized that too many pieces and options only make more mess and actually reduce the amount of time that he plays attentively.

I kept only the vintage pots and pans set with the kitchen in his room, plus the Plan Toy cut-able fruits and veggies.

I added some baking and cooking pieces to a box in the kitchen to be used when he helps to cook with me. The rest of the pieces I took outside, and created this...



It's still way too cold for mud pies and grass soup but this little nook right by the stairs is one of his favorite spots already. The white enamel container is actually from our wedding, which we used for lemonade throughout the weekend, so it makes me smile to see it is being reused here. I let it fill with rain water and then the nugget can get all the water he needs - all by himself.

Project 3
The train table

BEFORE

AFTER

"I never want to put the train tracks back together again!" I think those are the words that came out of my mouth at some point a few days before the eCourse began and they became my motivation. My first idea was to glue the whole tracks onto another top layer of wood, but I realized that would mean that when he is a bit older the tracks would not be available to play with. So instead, I glued the ramps together and then used heavy duty duct tape to keep the rest of the tracks together. I removed the bottom shelf so tall toys could fit underneath and then moved the table to the window to make a bit more room.

The storage piece on the bed is also from IKEA and gives him access to the trains when he is up early from his nap. Toddler playing in bed and not making noise for a 15 minutes - I lovely unexpected bonus!



Project 4
The booknook

BEFORE

AFTER


Project 5
An unused space upstairs

BEFORE

AFTER

4 comments:

  1. These are so inspiring!!! I am hugely impressed. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel! I really enjoyed being part of the eCourse and it felt fantastic to give some time and attention to these projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous spaces! I'm thinking of doing the e-course and followed past links. I love the beautiful and simple solutions you've done here! And love the blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all of your spaces!Found you through the playful learning ecourse link.... looks like a wonderful course! I think your book nook is my favorite..those pillows are so inviting!

    ReplyDelete