12.12.2010

On the 12th day of Christmas...



The nugget and I set up this.

I grew up with this nativity set. So last year when my mom decided it was my turn to own it and actually boxed it up and sent it via the USPS, I knew a new tradition was about to begin.



Today, when I pulled it out of the paper towel it was still wrapped in, the nugget looked it over and then proclaimed with absolute certainty, "Baabi." Yes, nugs, that is a baby. And then he tried to put it in his mouth.

The set is actually a funky plastic material, aged in the crevices, to resemble ivory or marble, I think. And the design is vaguely modern, with its simple lines and abstract features. I don't know where it came from or what its story is, but one of my fondest memories was setting it up while others handled the more fragile Christmas decorations. So again, toddler friendly decorating. Perfect.

I do remember there being a cow in addition to the donkey and an angel for a top the manger. Wonder what happened to them.



The scene felt a bit bare without the sanctuary of a manger, so I snipped a few branches off our tree, got out the hot glue gun and crafted together a very humble enclosure. But somehow, it feels just right.

1 comment:

  1. I love what you did with the tree branches! What a cool way to personalize an inherited heirloom.

    ReplyDelete