12.08.2010

Unexpected inspiration

I don't usually go for what is the newest, or the coolest, or the biggest, but maybe you gathered that already. And I am certainly not against what was last season or even two seasons ago - in terms of trends. I like what I like, don't really care how cool it is or for that matter how past due it is. When I bought a stack of old design magazines at a neighbor's garage sale for $3, I didn't think I would come across this very unexpected inspiration.

In a Veranda Magazine from several years ago, I stumbled onto the most delightful story about an inspiring room for the holidays. Inspired by Scandinavian design and aesthetic, its rustic and earthy and simple and folksy and eclectic. I love it. I love everything about it.

My favorite detail is the branch with painted red pine cones.

I started last year with a red/white theme when I started to pick out felt and wood ornaments that would withstand the hands of a growing little boy. Our tiny Charlie Brown tree was just the start - seeing this Nordic inspired room has only encouraged me more.

My friend Leigh of Found, Now Home posted her holiday inspiration for decorating with branches. Take a look here. I love the hanging white wreath with the candles over the dining table. So yes, branches are in.

This weekend, the toddler safe holiday decorating will be done. I'll take some shots when the elves are through...

No comments:

Post a Comment