11.24.2010

A simple table


They lived their beliefs, and everything they made - whether a pegboard, a small oval box, or a stone barn - was an outward expression of their inner life. To an outsider raised on a diet of restless materialism, the Shaker's serene, purposefully furnished rooms are compelling.

-Celia Barbour for Martha Stewart Magazine in a article entitled Learning from the Shakers

I don't know what MS Living Magazine was from - I found the whole article that I had ripped out at the seam and tossed in the "to be scanned someday folder".

But today, as I think about setting a table for a house full of guests on Thursday, I am extremely drawn to this image. And more so the thought and intention behind the simplicity.

I am reminded of one of my most favorite sayings:

The way we do anything is the way we do everything.

I think this will be my inspiration for this day of thanks and the rest of this holiday season.


No comments:

Post a Comment